I attended Ambassador Baptist College and began working on the website in 2007. Matt Northcutt designed the site, and I built it with PHP and MySQL for easy updating.
In 2010, we began planning a redesign of the site. I wanted to rebuild the backend from scratch, and the administration wanted a total redesign of the front end. Ryan Griffin designed the site mockups, and I took his files and created the website.
It features a MySQL-powered “blog” with weekly updates (with an automatically-generated RSS feed), a number of jQuery slideshows and other functionality, a bookstore built from scratch (soon to be moved to
osCommerce Magento), my sermon plugin (soundboard crew uploads an MP3 with all information in the filename and is finished—the site updates the rest, including a podcast feed), live chapel video streaming, and much more.
CLAMP Ministry needed to be able to update and maintain their site without technical knowledge. They contacted me, asking if I could build a site from their already-designed pages. I took their Illustrator files and turned them into this site. It uses a custom PHP framework and the PageLime CMS for easy updating. They also wanted to have the ability to upload photos of recent projects, so I included a photo album functionality.
Faith Baptist Church contacted me about redesigning their website. They wanted something simple that they could maintain without technical coding knowledge.
I was able to develop a new site for them, based on a custom PHP framework and MySQL database, as well as the PageLime CMS, so church staff could easily maintain the site. It also uses Google Calendar for easy updating, as well as my sermon plugin, which pulls all the relevant information from the filename of an MP3 file, allowing the soundboard crew to upload the file and be done with it.
I also integrated their missionaries database with Google Maps, allowing visitors to see where missionaries serve.
Calvary had been using Microsoft FrontPage to create and edit their site, but nobody was keeping up with it. It needed to be redesigned and rebuilt from scratch. After taking inventory and suggesting a brand-new structure for the information they had and needed, I designed a new site based on a custom PHP framework and MySQL, along with the PageLime CMS, to allow non-technical staff to easily edit and update the site.
Google Calendar is the information source for the calendar page, allowing easy editing. The sermons section automatically shows all the information from the filename of an MP3 file, allowing the soundboard crew to upload the file and forget about it.
Calvary also had a password-protected members’ section on the old site, and they wanted to keep that functionality. I built a password-protected section, with two different levels of access, determined individually by the staff for each member. This allowed church members to have full access, while connected visitors could still see photos.
All this was completed in the last two weeks of my time in Elkins Park.
I began working with the Aletheia Project during my first year at college. The Project had already put together a website for French-speaking people of the world, but needed a website for the Project itself. I sat down one afternoon and began messing with Gimp, Nvu, a trial copy of CSSEdit, and Safari—and taught myself enough CSS to come up with this site. It’s officially my first website.